If you are a member of Pi Gamma Mu, you could qualify to be the recipient of a $2000 or $1000 award to attend graduate school. Pi Gamma Mu awards up to 11 scholarships each year. Why not be one of the next recipients?
Pi Gamma Mu's scholarships are intended for the first or second year of graduate work in the areas of sociology, anthropology, political science, history, economics, international relations, public administration, criminal justice, law, social work, psychology, and human/cultural geography.
Other interdisciplinary fields will be considered on an individual basis based upon the degree to which the social sciences are an integral component of the overall course of study. In such cases, applicants should submit a program description outlining requirements and coursework. Business administration is specifically excluded from consideration. No more than three scholarships will be given annually in any one graduate field of study. Previous winners are not eligible to apply again.
Each application packet must be accompanied by:
- Pi Gamma Mu Scholarship Application Form
- Official college transcripts
- A statement explaining why the scholarship is desired
- A résumé
- Three letters of recommendation from professors and/or work supervisors in the field in which the applicant intends to work. Each letter of recommendation should be in a sealed envelope with the letter writer's signature across the seal.
All items should be sent in one package to the international office. Recommendation letters should include the letter writer’s signature across the seal of the envelope. Transcripts should be official and include the school’s stamp or seal. The statement of purpose (i.e., Why do I want to pursue graduate studies in the social sciences?) is quite important. It should include information about the applicant's commitment to the social sciences, be typed, and have a professional appearance.
Applications must be fully completed and received in one large envelope at the Pi Gamma Mu office in Winfield—or postmarked—no later than February 15. Applications can be printed from the Website. Winners will be notified in May, with the grants awarded in October.
The following scholarships are awarded—assuming a complete pool of qualified applicants—annually:
NAMED / ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Carroll Parish Scholarship ($2000): The international Board of Trustees funded this scholarship to memorialize Carroll Parish, late chancellor of Pi Gamma Mu's Western Region.
- Daniel E. Quigley Law Scholarship ($1000): The international Board of Trustees funded this scholarship to memorialize Atty. Dan Quigley, Pi Gamma Mu's late legal counsel. (For more information about Atty. Quigley, click here.) The scholarship is awarded to a student for his or her first year of law school.
- Gordon E. Mercer Scholarship ($1000): The international Board of Trustees established this scholarship to honor Dr. Gordon E. Mercer, Pi Gamma Mu's 13th international president.
- Marvel Stockwell Scholarship ($2000): The international Board of Trustees funded this scholarship to memorialize Marvel Stockwell, late Pi Gamma Mu international first vice president.
- Effie B. Urquhart Scholarship ($2000): The international Board of Trustees funded this scholarship to memorialize Effie B. Urquhart, Pi Gamma Mu's late national executive secretary. (For more information about Mrs. Urquhart, click here.)
- Six additional scholarships ($1000 each): The international Board of Trustees funds these scholarships, with support from donors who have indicated their support of this scholarship program with their financial gifts to Pi Gamma Mu. For information about donating to help support this program, click here.
A friend of Pi Gamma Mu may endow a $2000-per-year named scholarship for a one-time donation of $50,000. The scholarship may be named for the donor or for someone whom the donor wants to honor or memorialize. For further information, contact Pi Gamma Mu's international office at (620) 221-3128.
Completed applications should be postmarked no later than February 15 and mailed to:
Pi Gamma Mu
1001 Millington, Suite B,
Winfield, KS 67156